In a few short hours, we're closing the cover on 2014. I took this photo on the morning of New Year's Day over on the Lido beach, one full year ago. It was a bright sunny morning, the perfect way to inaugurate a brand new year.
I've spent some time reflecting on the past 12 months. It's been a good year for me, filled with some unbelievable moments. I can happily say I ticked off my list of goals, and then some. Not bad for a habitually lazy person. You know my middle name is procrastination, don't you?
The highlights were indeed high. Here's the recap:
- I started and finished writing a novel.
- This was the year of the Great Weight Loss Adventure. I lost 43 lbs!
- We traveled places we'd never been before : Casablanca and Tangier in Morocco; Cadiz, Valencia and Barcelona in Spain, Savona and Tirano in Italy, and St. Moritz in Switzerland.
- We returned to some favorite places, a few of them numerous times - Lisbon, Portugal; Rome, Italy; and Portovenere and Cinque Terre, Italy.
- I became a member of the Pink Lioness in Venice rowing group, and learned to row in a dragon boat.
- I've rowed and explored both the North and South Lagoon surrounding Venice, including the islands of San Francesco del Deserto, Sant Erasmo, San Servolo and Poveglia.
- We've made new friends from around the globe.
- I continued with my Italian language studies.
- I taught myself how to knit in the last 3 months of the year. So far I've completed a scarf, a cowl, a baby blanket, a hat, a pair of fingerless gloves, and one sock.
And, I've made my list of projects for the coming year.
Keep the weight off. Continue to eat right, exercise and stay healthy.
Knit the other sock.
Be much more consistent with the blog.
Travel to one new place (destination unknow as yet)
Put more time and energy into the Italian lessons
Keep remembering to live the simple life every day.
Get the book edited and in print.
Row the Vogalonga with the Lionesses.
I'm going to do everything in my power to do something every day that moves me in a positive direction towards accomplishing my goals.
Today is San Silvestro Day in Italy, the last day of the year. Another Italian word for today is Capodanno. In the Italian tradition, on Capodanno you have a huge meal, cenone, with family and friends. Yes, another meal of multiple courses, including lentils for good luck. This is also the night to put on your red underwear ( remember my Advent Calendar post Day 12?
We are doing a big cenone at home with friends tonight, but decided not to cook. Instead we're having it catered in, all 7 courses! Yes, we will eat lentils. And yes, we will have on red underwear (underneath our clothes, that is). In fact, I need to head over to the caterer in a few minutes to pick it all up. This was a new idea, I'm crossing my fingers everything works out ok. After dinner the plan is to walk out to Riva degli Schiavoni to watch the fireworks and ring in the New Year , if I don't chicken out. It's bitter cold out here today! I may be watching some fireworks on TV instead.
Do you make resolutions for the new year too? I'd love for you to share them with me.
From our house to yours,
Happy New Year 2015