We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Monday, July 22, 2013

Redentore - il giorno dopo ( the day after)





I wanted to try to share a little bit of Redentore with you. My firework photos aren't spectacular, I'm envious of some of the incredible photos I've seen on the internet this morning. I'm going to have to really practice with my night photography next year. For what it's worth... here are a few. Redentore fireworks are some of the best I have seen in my life. I just don't think anyone does fireworks better than the Italians do! 

This year we had a wonderful dinner on our terrace, then walked out to the waterfront along Sant'Elena to join the thousands of others who had already staked a spot there. Families had set up tables and chairs all along the water earlier in the day and had even hung lanterns and lights. By night, their dinners were over, everyone was ready for the fireworks. Others were on blankets on the grass in the park. There were young and old alike, dancing, singing, just enjoying the evening. 





 After the fireworks, most of the people who had gathered on Sant'Elena gathered up their belongings and headed home or to the Lido by vaporetto.
Sunday morning I headed off to Giudecca  island to Pesca di Beneficenza, a lottery type game to raise money for the church, held annually on the morning after the Redentore celebration. This has become a favorite of mine, and it's well known amongst my friends that I have no luck winning anything- except fly swatters!  I have quite a fly swatter collection now.  So--- Sunday morning it was more fly swatter time for Karen! I hopped on the 4.1 vaporetto and made my way to Giudecca.

Here's a little taste of Redentore, through my eyes......








 Here's how this works- you pay 1 Euro per ticket, hand your money over to the volunteer who is manning these bins of little rolled up papers. They pick out tickets from the bin and hand them over to you.
 I contributed 10 Euros this year, these are my hot 10 little winning tickets!
 You unravel the papers, hoping one of them is a good number!  They either have a word or a number on them. The lower the number, the better the prize.

This is a display of some of the better prizes. The motorbike was number #0001.
 And this is my stash of prizes..... a curtain and rod, a swiffer duster, 2 plastic flowers, 2 small glass dolphins, a little glass ring, a car air freshner, and a tiny little plastic keyring with a small container of playdoh attached!  No, I didn't even win a bottle of wine. And no, no fly swatter!!!!

 Here's a view of the Redentore church from the temporary bridge. Yellow paper lanterns are a tradition, lining both sides of the canal. I love the atmosphere on this weekend!

 The bridge is constructed from sections that are held in place by large pilings.
 Contributing to the party atmosphere are the nut, candy and balloon vendors stationed near the church. I always buy a bag of roasted almonds for Mike. It's become a tradition for us whenever there is some festa going on. Of course, a bag of nuts came home with me yesterday.


These are fresh , warm and delicious smelling.









And finally.....one last remnant of a special night in Venice... empty tables on Sunday morning along Giudecca canal waiting for their owner to come pack them up and carry them home.  



7 comments:

Dianne said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures Karen. Which church dome is the one we see in the second fireworks photo (I think it's the second). I am thinking San Giorgio (sp?)

You are so lucky to experience all these wonderful Venetian festivals.

karen said...

Dianne- you have a great eye- yes, that is San Giorgio. Maybe someday you'll plan to be here in July for Redentore.

Dianne said...

Perhaps I will. Have a good summer

Rob C said...

Karen, great pictures, even the bad ones were so 'artistic' and so evocative.

Maybe We'll make it one July.

karen said...

Rob- what's happening with your Christmas plans? Any luck?

Rob C said...

Karen, sorry, forgot, yes We've found an apartment that seems Tito have everything we want and is just 30 seconds from San Basilico Vaporetto stop!

So, we'll be in Dosudoro for Xmas :-)

karen said...

Rob- great.Glad everything worked out. Just today I met another couple who rent a small apartment on Giudeca, so next time you are looking let me know.They are from York., lovely couple.